Thursday, January 30, 2014

Terrance Knighton Explains Origin of "Pot Roast" Nickname

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports

January 28, 2014
(Photo: Robert Deutsch, USA TODAY Sports)
NEWARK – No more satisfying way to begin Media Day morning than with a heaping helping of "Pot Roast'' for breakfast.

Denver Broncos star defensive tackle Terrance Knighton has become a rising star and was a popular attraction for Tuesday's Super Bowl XLVIII Media Day coming off his fourth-down sack of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in the AFC Championship game.

"I've only had Pot Roast twice,'' Knighton said. "My rookie year in Jacksonville. And the second time was last week when I took the whole defensive line out to a Denver restaurant.

"We had Pot Roast and Pot Roast egg rolls.

"Maybe I can get a Chunky Soup commercial or something like that.

"Who knows?

"There's a lot of things you can do with Pot Roast.

"Hopefully, somebody can up with an idea and I'm open to it.''

So how did the 6-3, 330-pound, fifth-year defensive tackle come by his moniker?

"It was on a flight coming back from Seattle my rookie year in Jacksonville,'' Knighton said. "It was a six-hour flight. Guys were tired. The plane was dark and the lady was walking down the aisle, saying, "Pot Roast? Pot Roast?'

"And I'm like, 'Right here.' My teammate behind me said, 'You say that like that's your name?'

"He said, 'I'm going to call you Pot Roast from now on.' I said, 'Yeah, whatever.'

"So it stuck to me.'''

Knighton paused before adding, "It was either that or Shrimp Alfredo.'''

One of the key players in the Super Sunday trenches is a ton of fun.

About 100 pounds and nine years ago, the 27-year-old Knighton was a 6-2, 235-pound wide receiver at Windsor High in Hartfield, Conn.

"I miss catching touchdowns,'' Knighton said.

That's OK. He's gotten pretty good at sacking quarterbacks after he beat guard Logan Mankins and dropped Brady for a key sack when the Patriots went for it on fourth-and-3 from the Broncos' 29 late in the third quarter in their win to reach the Super Bowl.

Knighton had some fun with the heralded battle between himself and Seattle Seahawks power back Marshawn Lynch, who just inked a deal with "Skittles.''

"People are saying, it's Pot Roast versus Skittles,'' he said.

"I'm going to have fun with it. My family loves it. Fans love it. My coaches love it.

"If I get a sack this game, I've got a little special sack dance. It's something to do with Pot Roast.

"You'll see.''

H/T - Original +USA TODAY Sports Article Founde Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment